The pipes are ready !
I ordered some exhausts a good while back from Kenny at TSA (two stroke addicts), he advised me of a 10-12 week lead time so I bit the bullet and slapped a deposit down.
I managed to get back from Holiday and go and collect them from him personally. Kenny designs and builds YPVS expansion chambers and on the UK forums the opinion is that he makes the best pipes available. Lots of midrange power which is perfect for the road. Kenny gave me lots of useful info and suggested a good carb jetting base to start from, shame I’ll not hear the pipes until the bike is finished. What struck me is the quality of workmanship, they are also very lightweight. The end cans I went for were alloy and they weigh more then the expansion chambers !!!
Once again little garage time this month but I have managed to get these parts vapour blasted and repainted. I used RD Cox and Sons in Reading and they did a great job.
Between the Vapour Blasting and painting the barrels were sent of to Granby Motors in Liverpool for a rebore. They bored them and supplied Mikita pistons to suit and did a very fast turnaround of 4 days. The crankcases as originally supplied from Yamaha would have been bare alloy for the lower half and painted satin black for the upper half. The Vapour blasters said they could do a satin finished alloy which looks like its been painted silver, yet it is bare metal. The finish is superb and should be easy to keep clean.
Only trouble is now everything I put back on the bike will have to be re-finished to the same high standard otherwise it’ll look shabby.
I did spend a few evening on the web ordering various parts for the rebuild, as it looks like I’ll be gathering parts for a Winter re-build. All hopes of getting the bike finished for this summer or year look doubtful due to holidays and a promise of doing some dreaded DIY in my house.
Been a while since the last update…… But in my defence the garage is too cold over Winter!
I have completely stripped the bike and made a start on cleaning and preparing for paint etc.
The frame was filthy and a bit rusty in places but not structural so along with the swing arm and various brackets, was dropped off at Power Park Autos in Banbury. They did a great job and I have a very deep gloss red on the frame, swing arm is silver and the fairing brackets and stands were welded and coated in gloss black.
I’ve been through numerous wire wheels cleaning up bolts, swing arm links, brackets etc. I have bought a zinc plating kit from Gateros and intend to have a mass plating session when all the steel parts are prepared.
The Tank and plastics have been sent to Power Park Autos for strip and paint. They have done a brilliant job, using the correct pearl/metallic white and red.
I got some graphics from RD LC CRAZY and applied them before the top clearcoat. But I was not happy with them, I got the fairing and belly pan ones on poorly, so ordered some replacement ones. Fitted them and though not 100% happy due to bubbles etc decided to go with it. Left the tank etc in the spare room and a week later orange blotches appeared all over the white paintwork!!! Took it back to the painters and went on holiday.
The painter said there had been a reaction between the processes, so removed everything and started again. I now left it for a few weeks to check it would be Ok this time before wasting more graphics.
I decided to make my own graphics as I am in the print trade as a hardware engineer for Canon. So many many hours making templates and using Adobe illustrator I ended up with my own set printed on quality Vynil.
I drank 2 strong bottles of beer on a Friday evening and sat down to apply them, I had printed a few sets so I could afford to get them perfect. I was well pleased with the results, nice flat bubble free graphics.
Sent them off for the clearcoat and got them back and the final result is brilliant, probably better than factory.